Sunday, January 3, 2010

"Stop all the clocks". David Tennant as "Dr. Who" dies to fight another day.

One of my favorite characters of all time, (I mean books, television, film) Is that of Dr. Who, and not just any Doctor but especially the one which was brought to life by David Tennant. Now we mourn for the good Doctor,  he has regenerated into a younger version and who knows what that might bring. I am hopeful that I will grow to like the new Doc but I know full well that there will never be another Doctor like the tenth regenaration, that played by David Tennant and of course written by Russell T. Davies. The combination of the two was magic.



I knew well in advance that David Tennant had decided to leave the show, but it was still a blow to see it come true. I know how funny this sounds to be that attached to a character but for me Dr. Who is the embodiment of a sharp intellect matched with a passinate enthusiasm for everything that he does, coupled with daring bravery, and a love of humanity.  He also has a witty and mischevious side, he can be downright cheeky. Match this with the possibility of traveling the Universe and seeing through space and time, and that the Doctor felt greatly privileged to travel and learn from the universe and even though he was nine hundred and three he still had a great excitement about each journey.

The Doctor was very lonely, and as his character developed more and more was taken away, his heart broken again and again. Loneliness and heartbreak is something so universal we can all attest to and understand. Yet to be without your own kind, to have lost all you ever knew, and loved to end up alone time after time is something most of us will never experience and yet some of us might but to which we can all understand and empathize. Yet part of the reason I love this character so is even though it gets dark in the end he turns it around and he fights ‘til the end, and when the knocks come, he opens the door and dies to sacrifice himself for a great friend.

I did appreciate that he got his "reward" in the end and was able to say good-bye to those he loved, some to save one last time and some to make sure they were taken care of and some just to set on eyes or speak with one last time. It was heart wrenching, which I wouldn't have expected less and a loving way to say goodbye to such a remarkable character.


One of my many favorite moments in this series is when he took with him the companion Donna Noble. For those of us who watched I am sure most had that secret thought that secret wish of what if this were real? What if the Dr. existed and he asked me would I go? Would I be strong enough? Brave enough? Smart enough? To do whatever was asked? Many of us never get to fulfill our potential but while watching Dr. Who part of the thrill for me was the idea of What if? The possibility of getting to become your greatest self. An example would be his companion Donna. A middle aged woman who was cynical, a bit bitchy and had no patience whatsoever. By meeting the Dr. she transformed into an incredibly strong ally, whom time and time again found that she had everything she needed within herself if she just dug deep enough. She was average and she became extraoridninary. Her mind reeling with all the possibilities and her heart opened and she unlocked the greatness that was contained therein, and it was knowing the Dr. that gave her this gift.






When Christopher Eccleston left Dr. Who after only one season, whom I like a great deal and David Tennant stepped in to Dr. Who’s shoes and sauntered in, in his white high top sneaks, I didn't think I would like him for about the first thirty seconds. Then he asked if he was a ginger, and I laughed and decided that maybe I had been too hasty. When he asked what kind of man am I? Throughout that first episode he was finding out as the audience was, I was intrigued. It was when he dueled in his pajamas toward the end of that first episode and in the end and showed mercy to the nasty alien that was trying to kill him. The alien was coming at his back and was about to kill him when he turned and threw a piece of fruit at the lever and the Syrotax leader fell into the abyss, and he pronounced with him there were, "no second chances." Crikey he gets my vote. I was hooked. By the end of that first episode I was in love. It was a lovely five years. I will miss you Doctor.

1 comment:

  1. I agree - with everything in this post! You made me cry (in a good way), remembering that last scene with the Doctor and Donna's grandfather.
    Ecclestone was the first Doctor I met. I loved him and I loved Tennant, and I miss them both. I hope the new Doctor is as good (don't we all!).
    The Doctor has an amazing 'big heartedness'; he could so easily be arrogant and condescending, but instead he has a childlike humility and innocence. He makes people, like Donna Noble and Rose Tyler, more than what they are; he pulls them up to his level, and makes them brilliant simply by believing that they are. We should all be like that.

    ReplyDelete